Chickens have always helped people out in difficult times. If you grow chickens at home, then there is always meat and eggs. It is important to say that raising chickens is not difficult. Even children can safely participate in the process of raising poultry. If you look at the village courtyard, you will hardly find a house where there are no chickens. Chickens are unpretentious birds. They need minimal grooming and also some food. In summer, chickens can be kept outside, where they will have grass, insects and sand. This method of holding a bird of a normal breed is most suitable.
Every refrigerator should have dietary foods – eggs and chicken. There is not a lot of fat in chicken meat, which is why it is called dietary. In addition, eggs are high in protein and healthy amino acids.
It is worth noting, however, that home-grown chicken is different from farm-raised chicken. Homemade chicken is much healthier as it is raised on homemade products. Farm chickens eat a lot of artificial feed that stimulates their growth, which is not very good.
Domesticated chickens lay eggs with bright yellow yolks. Those eggs that are sold in the store were laid by the hens of farmers. There the yolks are pale (see photo). This suggests that they are low in carotene.
Breeding chickens for beginners
So, we see that raising chickens at home is a useful activity. However, not everyone even knows where to start. And today we will tell you about it. First you need to fill your brain with all possible knowledge about this bird – chicken. If we evaluate the case as a whole, then it seems that there is nothing complicated. However, the details are more complicated. To avoid unnecessary problems, you need to determine which chickens are better to grow at home, what kind of feed they should be “treated” with. It is important to know how to breed.
There are many ways to find the information you need. It could be a book, advice from experienced farmers, and, of course, the Internet. If you are going to grow chickens professionally, then remember that all the costs will not immediately pay off. You need to start raising chickens with a small amount. We take only unpretentious breeds. Now is the time to take care of where the bird will live. This can be a simple hedge outside, a shed, or under a shed. Cells can be made. Here you have to think about their sizes and materials that will be needed.
The chicken coop is one of the most important structures for keeping birds not only at home, but also on farms. If you plan to keep chickens in winter, then you must definitely create a chicken coop where the air will be heated. It is just as easy to find any information on the Internet on how to properly create a chicken coop with your own hands.
The size of the chicken coop is directly related to how many birds will be kept. The calculation, for example, will be for 10 chickens. So, here are the nuances to consider.
Before you start building a chicken coop, you need to create a simple blueprint. It is impossible to make mistakes, since the lack of the necessary conditions in the building for chickens will lead to the fact that the bird will stop laying eggs, or even start to get sick. Therefore, it is advisable to prepare well. You cannot listen to those “advisers” who say that a chicken coop can be created from improvised means.
It is important to choose the right place for the location of the chicken coop. It should be in a moderately lit area, not humid. A place for poultry walking is required. The best chicken coop is one that gets light all day.
For one chicken, it is necessary to allocate up to a square meter for walking. It is so easy to calculate how much space you need in general for walking the bird.
Building a chicken coop with your own hands
Once you have chosen a place for a chicken coop and a walk, you can start construction:
- It is not recommended to build a chicken coop directly on the ground. In addition to the fact that the bird will be cold, it will also be threatened by rodents, such as rats. The base can be made of concrete. You can simply make the flooring from the boards. The process of creating the foundation is not difficult, but you still have to work.
- The most crucial moment is the creation of walls. They must be strong and not let in the wind. You can use not only boards, but also aerated concrete – small lightweight blocks. As an option – make adobe filling of the walls. It all depends on how much money you are willing to spend on the construction of the structure. The main task is to make the chicken coop warm.
- For the roof, timber, boards and slate are used. It is desirable that the roof is also insulated. The bird walking area must be fenced off with a net. A great option for a roof is a gable structure. So it will be possible to store tools and other utensils on it, which are needed when keeping birds.
- The interior design of the chicken coop is an important step. First of all, lighting and insulation are equipped if the chickens winter here. For light, ordinary 60-watt bulbs are used. It is advisable to make a couple of windows so that natural light enters the chicken coop. If the walls are not sufficiently insulated, then a heating system must be created. Electric heaters are used.
- Do not forget about the feeders and perches in the chicken coop. In advance, you need to prepare tools for cleaning the chicken coop. So everything is ready. It’s time to think about what to feed the chickens. Sometimes one compound feed is enough. But it is better if you add grain to the chicken diet. Of course, household food waste can also be fed to chickens.
- As for the offspring, you can not buy it, but independently bring it out in an incubator. However, it should be noted that this task is very difficult. It is necessary to stock up not only knowledge, but also patience, since many birds may die during the growing process. The easiest way is to buy ready-made chickens.
- In order to understand what expenses go to chickens, estimate documentation is drawn up. It includes absolutely all costs associated with the bird. This is both food and the construction of a chicken coop.
What breed of chickens is better for a novice poultry breeder
The most important thing is the choice of the bird breed. This stage is determined at the very beginning. You need to determine what you need: meat, eggs, or both.
- Broilers work well for meat. These are birds that are raised in spring, summer, and chopped in autumn. In a short period of time, the bird grows up and is ready for slaughter. However, broilers are very difficult to grow in incubators.
- In order to have both meat and eggs, you need to buy ordinary Russian white chickens or red white-tailed chickens. It is noteworthy that these breeds will also be an excellent decoration for the yard. There are even chicken exhibitions. The bird may not be large, but it lays eggs well.
And now you need to decide where to buy laying hens? You can do this at a bazaar, in special farms or just at a neighbor’s, which happens in villages. There are many possibilities. It is best to buy chickens from trusted suppliers. This way you can get not only a guarantee that the bird is healthy, but also some advice on its correct breeding.
Tips for Beginner Poultry Breeders
It may seem that raising chickens is a simple matter. But as soon as the matter moves from words to real cultivation, difficulties arise.
- So, chickens need to be well and properly fed.
- In order for a bird to lay eggs, it must be given, in addition to ordinary food, grass and insects. She can get this for herself, walking on the street. But sooner or later the grass ends up on the site, so you have to collect it on the lawn. In addition, the bird needs to be fed with purchased feed, calcium.
- Always give the hens only fresh water. This is especially important for broilers who drink a lot of water.
- It is important to create a comfortable nest. If the hen feels uncomfortable, then it will begin to lay not in the nest, but in other places from where it will be difficult to extract eggs.
- The chicken should be warm and dry.
- Feed the bird twice a day if there is grass in its diet. Waste from the table is great.
- After you have experience raising a dozen chickens, you can try buying more birds. As you can see, there is no easy job. However, it is much more pleasant to eat chicken meat that is grown by your own hands.